Organic Turkeys: These birds are difficult to raise, but the pay off is worth the effort. Our methods match those used for broiler chickens – daily movement onto new lush pasture, carefully formulated organic supplemental feed and fresh water, turn out tasty birds that are as healthy as they are good! Our birds average about 15-20 lbs and are finished in time for Thanksgiving.
Layers: Our layer hens are the only poultry that we keep year round and are made up of hearty brown egg producers Barred Rock, Rhode Island Red and Black Star breeds. During the grazing season, our layer hens reside in the Egg Ark, a henhouse on wheels complete with egg nests accessible from the outside.
Our layer hens are the “sanitizers” of the farm. We use them to follow our cows and sheep on pasture. As they scratch and poke through cow and sheep manure, they eat many of the emerging larvae that would otherwise become flies and parasites. In addition to their pasture feeding, they receive the same high quality organic supplemental feed we use for our broilers.
The eggs are dramatically different from conventional confinement eggs. Produced on forage, the egg yolks sport a deep orange color (as opposed to the wan yellow of conventional), and provide a rich and flavorful eating experience.
Pasture Raised chickens raised by partnership with VYCC. Our 1000 broilers will be raised on pasture in Richmond at the Monitor Barn. Maple Wind Farm will be overseeing the care and pasturing of these birds throughout the season. Our customers will receive the same high quality bird. Order a CSA Poultry share today! 6 chickens (2 fresh 3 separate times over the summer) Monitor Barns CSA Member Form. Color Brochure
Broilers: The chicks arrive at the farm within 24 hours of birth. After 2-4 weeks in our brooder, the chicks are out on pasture in “chicken tractors”, portable pens that are moved daily to new pasture. Our chickens will get up to 70% of their diet from pasture, making for a more delicious meat that is low in saturated fat, and high in Omega-3’s and CLA’s. The other 30% will come from specially formulated grains, natural trace minerals and probiotics. We only produce broilers during the grazing season.
With our chicken, as with our beef, we guarantee that the animals will have fresh pasture daily during the growing season, and that they will not receive any antibiotics, synthetic vitamins, hormones, or appetite enhancers of any kind. We sell whole birds only. Please see order forms for prices and delivery dates.
What’s the Difference?
|Maple Wind Poultry||Conventional Poultry|
|No vaccinations||Vaccinations (immuno-depressant)|
|Pasture based natural foods||No pasture|
|No fed antibiotics||Daily doses of antibiotics|
|Fed Grain from a local source in Barnet, VT||Grain produced with chemical assistance|
|Compost and natural soil amendments||Chemical fertilizers, herbicides and pesticides|
|Moved daily to fresh pasture grassless coop yard||Confined in grassless coop yard|
|High in Omega-3 Fatty Acids, CLAs||Low concentrations of Omega-3s|
|Local transportation — produced, processed and sold locally||Long distance transport — 1000 miles for average chicken in the U.S.|
Where and how to purchase our products:
Chickens and turkeys are processed on the farm in a state of the art facility. All birds are packaged in cryovac bags. Both chickens and turkeys are sold as whole birds only. For specific products, cut and prices, please go to our How and Where to Buy, Retail Price List and Order Form sections.